Tuesday, December 30, 2008
Here is a picture of a Delta stuck in the snow. This is the common mode of transportation to and from the runway. There have been numerous calls on the radio of stuck Deltas. Quite amusing on a slow day in the office. Probably not so amusing for the drivers.
The second picture is an attack of the Skua. The infamous scavenger bird that lingers around McMurdo searching for innocent people carrying plates of food. They have also been known to randomly attack people without out food. Geoff frequently gets chased by them while running.
1. I tend to cut my hair when I am stressed.
2. That when I cut my hair short... I just want it long again.
3. Showing you love someone is much more effective than simply saying it.
4. I shouldn't stress about somethings/people too much. (I am working on this daily... hourly... )
5. That these little legs can be pretty powerful.
6. Kansas may not have scenery that appeals to me, but the people are amazing.
7. Brussels sprouts don't taste that horrible.
8. My girlfriends kick butt... (I already knew this, but I needed a number 8)
9. That Mountain Lions sure are hard to spot.
10. Grizzlies... not so much!
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Friday, December 12, 2008
Saturday, December 6, 2008
another pound or so on the scale
another season on the Ice
another holiday season away from friends and family
another time for reflecting on my life
it is almost that time. when i am a year older... and wiser? (not so sure about that)
Thanks to all my friends and family for all of their love and support.
much love and hugs to you all.
Monday, November 24, 2008
Here is a picture of a pair of earrings I made. What makes them so special? Well besides the fact that I designed them. I also made the silver star drops. Pretty nifty, huh?
They will be one of the many pairs of earrings I have for sale at the upcoming Arts & Crafts Show.
2. Have you ever smoked? i had to try, but i have never finished a full cigarette... cough, cough
3. Do you own a gun? no
4. What flavor Kool Aid was your favorite? what do they mean by was. i drank a lot of fruit punch on our last bike trip
5. Do you get nervous before doctor appointments? no
6. What do you think of hot dogs? yummy, when grilled.
7. Favorite Christmas movie? The Grinch and Charlie Brown are tied in my book
8. What do you prefer to drink in the morning? coffee
9. Can you do push ups? yes, but i am not in the best shape for them right now
10. Your favorite piece of jewelry? my engagement ring! it's lovely. my wedding band. i have lots of other jewelry that i really like too.... too much to mention
11. Favorite hobby? making geoff laugh
12. Do you have A.D.D.? i think i have lack of interest in lots of things. but not ADD
13. Do you wear glasses/contacts? no
14. Middle name? leah
15. Name 3 thoughts at this exact moment?
i need to drink more water
can't wait to get out of work
i think i only have 2 thoughts
17. Current worry? make sure i have enough crafty-ness for the upcoming Arts & Craft Show this weekend
18. Current hate right now? no hate... just love
19. Favorite place to be? in the hubby's arms. with family & friends
20. How did you bring in the New Year? i was at work in antarctica
21. Where would you like to go? thailand, africa.
22. Name three people who will complete this? i am not sending it to anyone....
23. Do you own slippers? no
24. What shirt are you wearing? jeans and a hoodie (the usual)
27. Favorite color? blue and green.... and blue/green. those are the faves.
28. Would you be a pirate? just so i could wear and eye patch. horizontal stripes aren't my thing
29. What songs do you sing in the shower? lots of songs. my internal playlist is on constant rotation. by the way my voice is amazing. you should know that if you are reading this.
30. Favorite Girl's Name? can't tell you. it is what i will name my child if i have a girl
31. Favorite boy's name? read #30.
32. What's in your pocket right now? natural lip balm that my friend nichole gave me
33. Last thing that made you laugh? i have been pretty giggly today. we laugh lots at work.
35. Worst injury you've ever had? i really haven't had any bad injuries. no broken bones.
36. Do you love where you live? yeah... not many people call it home.
37. How many TVs do you have in your house? no house. but we have 1 TV in our dorm room.
38. Weirdest thing you have ever done? too many to list.
Sunday, November 23, 2008
Friday, November 21, 2008
i talk loud when excited
i love Dunkin Donuts coffee
i can't parallel park
i have selective hearing
i love my friends & family
dogs make me happy
chocolate does too
i am a professional procrastinator
i sing along to music playing in stores
high heals scare me
i can't resist a cupcake
i would love to live in New Zealand...
but it's too far away
i am obsessed with my husband
Monday, November 17, 2008
Here are some pics from inside the caves. Pretty cool, eh? This is the first time in years that ice caves have formed local to McMurdo. We had fun sliding around inside and of course goofing around a bit. Luckily Geoff's tongue did not stick to the ice. He is all good.
All of these photos are courtesy of Cory... Thanks Cory! We had a wonderful time
Sunday, November 16, 2008
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
I just received this picture of some friends (Christine and Rich) and I on our way down to the Ice. As you can probably tell we are sporting the new Winter accessory... neon green ear plugs. That's my modeling face... No wonder the agencies aren't knocking down my door.
We are riding in a C-17. A big improvement from the days when we were packed in a C-141. Sitting shoulder to shoulder in web seats. Ugh! I don't miss it.
Photo courtesy of Rich.
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Probably didn't think this many people were down here, did ya?
Saturday, November 1, 2008
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Monday, October 27, 2008
Monday, October 20, 2008
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Sunday, May 4, 2008
1. Spending time with Geoff doing something we both enjoy... riding our bikes
2. That a dark 40 degree morning can turn into a sunny 60 degree afternoon.
3. Dunkin Donuts
4. The feeling of fresh air on my face
5. That Connecticut has some great rail trails.
7. Spending time with family and friends
8. Sunday bar-b-ques
9. Getting cozy in my favorite "Salty Dog" sweatshirt as it cools off again at dusk
Monday, April 28, 2008
Geoff and I spent 7 weeks traveling Australia... seeing the wildlife, sleeping under the stars and trying to dedicate most of our time away from the cities. Our two main destinations being the Great Barrier Reef and the Red Center and Ayers Rock. We got to see so many cute (Koalas, Kangaroos) and not so cute animals (Crocs, Sharks). We went for a 10 day trip through the desert up to Alice Springs. We went on a live aboard dive ship where Geoff and my girlfriend Ann went diving and I went snorkeling, of course. We even went on a honeymoon to the Whitsunday Islands and relaxed for a few days. It was a beautiful trip and I feel very lucky to be able to travel and see such amazing places.
Here are some pics from the trip:
Us a sunset
Our backpacks and the swags .
The Landcruiser that we drove through the desert in.
Cooling off with beer and flies.
I never new there were camels in Australia...
I will post more pics from our trip soon.
Wednesday, February 20, 2008
Our season on the Ice ended quickly this year. One minute we were working, working, working... the next it was time for our flight back to New Zealand. Our flight off the continent wasn't even delayed.... which usually happens, That darn unpredictable Antarctic weather.
February 14 was a very good day for me. We don't celebrate Valentine's Day so I am not talking about chocolates or roses. I finally got to go to the South Pole. Which was an amazing trip. I will post more about that when I get a chance to put my hero shot near the South Pole marker on the computer.
That's all for now.
Saturday, February 9, 2008
* The resupply vessel is here
* Everyone is planning their vacations
* The flights to the South Pole are dwindling down
* and of course Geoff shaved his beard off
Below is a picture of me and some of my coworkers on New Years Eve. Yeah we had to work that night. It's funny because Raytheon chose to observe New Years the day before.... you can't do that. Celebrating the New Year on the 30th just doesn't work. As for the late posting on the picture, yeah well... I am a slacker sometimes.
Monday, February 4, 2008
Here is the summary of his job off of his Raytheon Polar Services Postion Desription : Coordinates all cargo operations at the various airfields operated by the USAP. Coordinates the safe loading and off loading of all aircraft. Maintains a productive relation with all aircrews and Air National Guard (ANG) personnel at all times. Q/A all cargo loads in preparation of aircraft loading.
Here are some pictures of him hard at work. Hopefully this will help all of those out who are still confused when we describe what we do.
The top picture is of him loading the aircraft, a C-17 to be exact.
The bottom is of him driving a Delta out to the air strip. He is transporting the Air Force pallets of cargo on the back of the vehicle.
If you have any other questions about his job post a comment.
Sunday, February 3, 2008
Well now I am going to go to the galley (cafeteria) and be utterly disappointed after lusting over the goodness I will be eating in only a couple of weeks.
Friday, February 1, 2008
Check out the links to learn a little bit about them....
Under the Banner of Heaven ~ Jon Krakauer http://www.randomhouse.com/features/krakauer/
The Secret Life of Bees ~ Sue Monk Kidd
Kite Runner ~ Khaled Hosseini
We would love it if you would share what you are currently reading or some of your favorites with us.
Thursday, January 31, 2008
Saturday, January 26, 2008
10. Beef Chili (which doesn't usually quite taste like chili)
9. Reuben day
8. Seafood & Pork Chowder (ugh!)
7. Chicken Fried Steak
6. Meat Loaf
5. Pot Pie
4. Seafood Caserole (really!)
3. Anything containing pork (it's at 2 out of 3 meals a day)
2. Beef Stew (it's called left overs)
1. Blazin' Red Fish (it isn't red nor is it blazin')
There must have been a big sale on swine because pork porducts seem to be taking over the menu of our galley. Don't get me wrong there are some good dinners; chicken parmesean, pizza and mexican day to name a few. They just don't like to serve them to often... not wanting to set too high of expectaions after all.
New Zealand, Thai food, Sushi.... not soon enough!
Friday, January 4, 2008
1. Family and true friends will love you no matter how neurotic you are
2. My natural hair color is actually quite pretty
3. To stop and smell the flowers.... and grow some myself too
4. I can be spiritual and not be religous
5. It's OK for me to need some "Danielle time"
6. Every day is a learning experience
7. No one is perfect
8. Material things are over rated..... experiences and time with people are the best gifts
9. Maybe I should learn how to clear my head and finally take up Yoga
10. While I don't want the "typical" life of my friends and family, I love that they are happy and that they accept my alternative life style...thank you to all!